Wednesday, October 14, 2009

To this day I still sometimes find myself walking outside my front door and being in total awe of the scenery around me, so different from back home. Mountains are on all sides of me, the sunsets are so cool here, but nothing will beat the sunrises we get in good ole' NSB. I just wanted to thank each person reading this because in someway you have helped me in this journey. From the preparation, prayers, donations and especially Love. We are now in our third week of classes and it's going really well. Imagine studying your favorite subjects for six hours a day being taught by men who have traveled the world gaining knowledge. That is what I'm doing right now! I have learned many many things, all though some of them make my head feel as if it could explode at any given moment. This week our teacher is from Washington state, he is a physicist who has earned multiple PhD's, written four books and has been recognized for discovering three profound scientific discoveries. Best of all, he is hilarious. Totally reminds me of a Les Williams. Super brilliant and funny. Everyone remember to pray for Les!! Hopefully he isn't getting to buckwild out on the road. LUCKY. As for me, classes are well but my favorite part so far comes on Wednesdays! Every Wednesday we travel to a nearby town, Zwelethemba. We have only done one so far, but good news! Today is Wednesday, so I'll be going back :]. It took me a while to get adjusted at first. You always see infomercials and various things on television talking about the homeless children in foreign countries. But, I have realized that until you are standing next to the child you don't fully grasp the concept. Tons of children lined up along a fence waiting to get into the make shift church building. Thanks to a group of South Korean people who have given up their time and life to live among the locals and serve the children with various things, like our weekly Wednesday worship services. Your heart just breaks for these children as run through the door to get a seat, clothed in very old clothes, ripped and tattered. Something which would be deemed Unwearable back home. Some, well many of the children do not have the luxury of shoes. But, the lack of clothes and shoes does not stop those kids from pushing through the door to sit almost two or three to a seat. Yes, they are that small. It's very humbling to see these children so small and malnourished some whom haven't eaten for almost up to a week and I'm sitting here complaining about something on my plate. They are still grateful to their God through it all, it's so encouraging. Because I'm not sure that after a week of no food that I would still be totally happy with God. Once everyone got seated the children quieted down to allow Laimon, our school leader introduce each of us; the calm before the "storm". As Laimon began to strum on his acoustic guitar the place erupted! The children jumped from their seats and began to scream the lyrics of each song, dancing various dances and jumping around like nobody's business. To witness these children cast all their worries aside to worship God was simply breathe taking. Their voices filled the large cement block building, echoing loud enough that you knew the sounds were pouring into the streets outside. I was able to make it through the first two or three songs until I literally felt my heart breaking for these children. Out of nowhere I began to cry! That has never happened just from hearing someone sing, especially in a situation where I couldn't understand the language. I believe God used that moment for me to realize that I truly have a heart for children, and really do want to see change in Africa and other places. As we go back today to Zwelethemba I can only pray that God continues to break my heart for these children and the challenges they face. I'm actually VERY excited because they have sorta deemed me the "School Photographer". It's like all the things I'm passionate about in one package. Thank you all for the never-ending support, love and prayers. Please forgive me if I have not responded to everyone on Facebook it's really hard to keep track. I would love to talk to anyone who wants to. Send me an Email at Courtlandcory@hotmail.com. I have also been asked for my class schedule so people have the ability to see what I am learning about in the various weeks. As well as my mailing address, which are going to be posted once I get the list.
I hope everything is going well in the Sunshine State, Minnesota & Djibouti. I have been praying a lot for the youth group. Many good things have been said to me about it from both staff and students, So cool! Also if there is anything I could pray for you about, just send me an email.

Love you guys,
Courtland

1 comment:

Williams said...

Court...I'm so excited for you that I actually cried as I read this blog! I believe you are so doing exactly what I believe God wants his children doing...loving and taking care of those who are the least of these! Keep it up my son and I believe God will show you great and unsearchable things!