Tuesday, September 22, 2009

God seems to have me in the craziest situation. I took flight at 1:50 to the Detroit airport, which was just the beginning of my journey thus far. Once I landed in Detroit I went and grabbed myself some lunch and headed onwards jumping on my plane to Amsterdam. What a flight that was, ended up only being 7 hours… but still 7 hours. Due to mind boggeling time zones once I arrived in the Netherlands it was about 7:30 in the morning. Thankfully I was given 10 euro because I was starting to get rarther hungry. Don’t get me wrong plane food is alright, but I was still good from the McDonalds earlier once they were serving. Interaction.. that worried me. I was nervous to sound dumb ordering and not knowing what to order because the food did look good, just didn’t know what was in it! So my morning in Amsterdam consisted of a cold hotdog with ketchup and a coke. Really broadening my horizons huh? Amsterdam also brought on many emotions, excitement aswell as sadness. Realizing that my connections with people won’t be as current due to time constrictions (USA is 6 hours behind) and the very busy schedule I have ahead of myself. One more flight to finish this off; Amsterdam to Cape Town, South Africa. Most wretched of all was this flight, 12 hours. I must have listened to the oddest mix of Taylor Swift, the Chariot, NEEDTOBREATHE and Owl City about 46 times. Managed to watch 2 episodes of 30 rock, finished off with my bestfriend sleep. So here I sit, in a temporary room while they get mine done. I am still at the YWAM base but just not in my quarters yet. It is quite interesting though being in a room full of Korean people all snoring and chatting via webcam with people. I don’t stand out at all… Kinda bummed I landed at night, although a very cool couple met me at the airport to bring me here. It made the hour drive a lot funner. Even though it was quite daunting with all the new road changes and the cars and everyone seems to own a landrover. & really interesting that the police do not infact pull you over for speeding no matter how fast your going. They just use their radars and send you the bill later, also you do not get any points towards your liscence. I am surrounded by mountains and have been warned greatly about the monkeys, they just hang around here. So they notion of this being a quant pretty safe city seems to be fading. I have been told there is a very high drug and crime rate. YIPPEE. I love you guys and will miss you all but I’m starting to really believe God is going to do some wicked sweet stuff in and with me.
Greetings From South Africa.
Love Courtland.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you made it there safely! :)
Hope you have a wonderful time. Take lots of pictures & stay away from the monkeys!!!

Ginger said...

WOW ! That sounds like too much plane riding for me. But glad ya made it ok. I hope you have fun & make sure ya take pictures. This will be a super cool experience. Have fun & be safe.

Michelle said...

Praise the Lord you made it safe! I am so excited for you Courtland and am looking forward to watching your journey as you follow God's call on your life. And monkeys- thanks for adding that part in cause it'll make Vaughan and Justin very happy- they love monkeys.

Katie said...

hey you glad to know you made it safe...I can feel your pain literally about the flights and yes monkeys, they are so cute , I loved capturing their pic and they loved capturing our stuff! I agree don't leave anything just layin' around. We will be prayinn' for you and are excited to see what God is up to!

lkb316 said...

Hey Courtland,
Your adventure has just begun. We will miss you, but will definitely keep up with you. Take care and be safe. Don't feed the monkeys.
You are in our prayers.
"Elisnore" and fam

TJ, Jenny, Mason, Nathan, Braden said...

Court
I am so glad you made it safe. I will sleep a little better tonight. We already miss you. Too funny about the monkeys (it goes right along with the advice on your card from the boys)Every time you travel you end up bunking/traveling with something or someone strange. Remember our train ride. Please be careful we love you much!

Unknown said...

Coutland, I am still in awe of your adventure. God has called you for something wonderful, you will do GREAT. Keep in touch, I love you very much. Grandma DeBorde

Whitney said...

I am so excited about your blog - try and keep up with it in the midst of your awesome adventure. We are all praying fr you and totally KNOW that God is going to do the AMAZING!

nicole said...

Courtland,
Hey, I'm so glad you made it safely. I wouldn't have been able to be on a plane that long, I don't know how you stood it. Well have lots of fun and I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Be safe!! ☺ ^_^

Riley said...

Courtland, there is not a doubt in my mind that god will serve you right you're the greatest person ever I didn't know at first how I could possibly live without you but this is too great of an experience to miss out on I'm glad to hear your safe keep writing your blog and post pictures live you dearly always Riley