Wednesday, December 9, 2009

This post looks legit

It seems as though the time is coming to an end, but yet so much more is about to happen. In roughly 4 days I will be DSC_1824boarding a plane with 16 other people on our way to Kenya. The photo to the right of these words is in fact the team in which I will be traveling with. We are made up of so many different places in the world! We have team members from North America, Brazil, Ghana, the Netherlands, Northern Ireland, South Africa, Tanzania, England and Canada. Yeah, quite a motley crew indeed. We seem to have a pretty good group on our hands, so I’d say. The talents are so abundant and vast that I am reassured constantly that we can accomplish any task God may have for us in the journey ahead. This is our last week of lectures; lemme get an AMEN. Seriously, some speakers were genius but others well… weren’t. God blessed us with some very brilliant people during the teaching phase and it is very cool to see how people’s lives have actually been greatly impacted by their words of wisdom. This week we are being taught on the subject of “The Great Commission” and it is a great week for me. One that hits a spot in your mind that makes you want to get up and just go do something! For me, this was a great topic to end with as we go out into Outreach.

Map picture

BRING ON THEOUTREACH

Here are a couple of photos I snagged off of Flickr so you guys can get a feel of what I will be seeing when I am on Outreach. I also have to apologize to all the people who made comments about me being with wild animals and me laughing at them saying..”Yeah, it will never happen”. But, actually I found out that when we are living with the Messiah tribe in Kenya we will be living in the “Bush Bush”. So that means truly wild animals.. seeing giraffes and zebras and gazelle on a daily basis. It’s so exciting to think animals are still wild in some places of the world. So here is a bit of what I’ll be seeing.48712135_3427fe8201 This is Nairobi traffic, yeah it seems a bit hectic. Thankfully we have my good ole’ friend John Knox that can drive stick shift and not me! Even though I would like to learn how. Not in this traffic though please. I have been told by people whom have gone that Nairobi is in a state of constant motion. As you can see many people are scattered amongst the streets and sidewalks. Which brings me to a point where I would like to share a bit of African wisdom with you. There is a term coined from a recent movie I watched called “Blood Diamond”. When you witness something you just don’t understand and wonder why it happened you simply state the term “T.I.A” which stands for This Is Africa. This is commonly used by westerners considering half the crazy stuff we see isn’t deemed crazy by other Africans considering they do the same thing.photo_lg_nairobi Oh man this photo below totally explains what I meant on the subject of “T.I.A”. Seriously.. When you look past the airstrip of this major airport you see wild animals! Can’t wait to totally blow up the Nikon taking photos of everything on outreach, hopefully I can look into getting another battery considering there will be a period of time in which we will be without electricity for roughly two weeks. Oh yeah, take away our running water! All in the experience I suppose! To be honest I’ve been thinking of what to write for so long I don’t know what I have put on here. Just please continue to pray for me and the journey God has me on in this moment of my life. I hope everyone has a great holiday break and it doesn’t move to fast. I will be home on the 22nd of February. Can’t wait to see ya’ll.

Love Courtland.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Courtland- what a wonderful post, to hear you speak answered prayer. God is working in your life, just think from throwing pennies off the ligthhouse to Africa.

We will pray for sure while you are in Kenya. We have a heart for Kenya and friends at Word of Life and DeGuna outside Nairobi. Steve mentioned the his local driver in Kenya said you don't stop at stop signs or red lights, so yes- moving, moving. I am excited for you Courtland. May the Lord bless you and keep you.
-Michelle for the Span Clan

ps look at my blog for our latest, or Steve's latest

Michelle said...

oh and is it the Messiah tribe or the Masai tribe? we have some really good Kenyan hip hop.

Unknown said...

Courtland~it was so great hearing from you the other night. It seems like you are meeting a lot of wonderful people! :) Have fun on your next adventure & be safe.
Look forward to reading your next blog.
Love you,
Sandra